Saturday, October 25, 2008

Poem of the week/month?

Well, I don't think I can safely say that I can post a poem per week, but I'll try. I love writing poetry. I used to write it often before my kids were born. Sometimes I feel like I really have some mad poetry writing skills, and other days, not so much. But, I want to get back into that mode again. Perhaps motherhood will inspire some new poems? I sure hope so! I definitely have a lot to write about.

ANyway, here's a poem I wrote a couple summers ago when I took a college writing class for my Pro-Cert at UW. I think those of you who are related to me will definitely know who inspired this narrative piece. :)

It’s time to go to the field

so we strap in,
grab our weapon of choice.
“Look for button, milk, or pig weed!”
you calmly beller.
“Do pig weeds look like pigs?” I asked.
I squirt what I think are weeds
but
being a virgin in the bean riding world,
I hit mostly beans which bring in money
we’ll never see.
I try to shrug it off like
I know what I’m doing.
Then I miss one and think
“too bad”
until you stop and
put the John Deere in reverse
and squirt it yourself.
You throw ‘the look’ my way
my cheeks flush,
and I begin
to wonder if bean riding
will ever get any easier.

No comments: