Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Broom Crew resurrected

Picture this:
a bunch of teachers dressed in old basketball uniforms dancing to Usher holding a mop. Yep, I am proud to say I was a part of this craziness.


So a few years ago, we (teachers and staff at school) formed a group we named the Broom Crew. We created a routine that involved dancing with mops and then half way through the routine, we'd ditch the cleaning tools and perform a hip hop number. All of this took place during the half times of basketball games. The kids just loved it and thought it was hilarious. The first time we did this, we used the song "Yeah" by Usher. I was a big part of the planning, esp. when it came to choreographing the hip hop part and we had a TON of fun.

After that year, everything just got kinda crazy, including parts of our admin, and things just got to a point where no one was really interested in having fun b/c everyone was being stretched to their limit and there was a lot of stress based on things happening (or not happening) with discipline and other issues that I would rather not discuss here.

Well, my friend Teri decided to try and get the Crew back together for another year laughing and fun. I immediately began working up some ideas for a routine. I had the exact song in mind we'd dance to (Chris Brown's "Forever") and some thought about what I wanted the set-up to be and how I'd plan out how people would stand/what we would do. I also had some ideas for some choreography for the hip hop part. I put something together that I thought really worked, and with the help of Get Up and Dance off of OnDemand, I think we really have a COOL routine. So, when I showed the routine to some of the ladies who would be dancing with me, they thought it was really neat. SOme were concerned they wouldn't be able to handle the hip hop moves, but I assured them it looked harder than it really was.

Our first performance will be in early March and I can't wait! Our Principal and Vice Principal are going to be dancing with us, which is going to be so great b/c the kids really love these two guys. The kids are just going to freak out when they see this! It will be too funny to see some of these women trying to shake it but we all just laugh our butts off and have so much fun. I am going to have one of my students record it on my camera when we dance so I can post it up here b/c I guarantee you'll laugh and maybe even pee your pants when you watch it. It's awesome! :) The best part is we keep it a secret from the students and we build it up all month telling them they better be at the game b/c there's going to be a HUGE surprise. ♥

3 comments:

Briana said...

How fun! Can't wait to see the video.

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

How fun! You got a standing ovation in that second pic, hahaha. I remember teachers doing that stuff when I was in HS and it was really fun; it actually made you want to go to that boring assembly :)

Megan said...

Hah hah, that is too funny! you should make sure that Dj is there w/ the video camera! LOL!