Thursday, June 11, 2009

Another Funny Convo heard amongst students today @ CBA Night

Tonight was our 4th annual CBA Presentation Night. This is a great night where our Social Studies students (only our 8th graders) present their posters and speeches on a controversial issue, such as abortion, same sex marriage, censorship, gun control, capitol punishment, student rights, etc. My Department (I'm the Head of it) plan this entire event and teaching all of the lessons and prepping kids and leading them through this process takes over two months of class time. It is a research-based persuasive paper and project. It's intense, stressful, and one of the most challenging projects for ALL students, as we have different requirements for Special Ed students, Reg. Ed students and Honors students. Anyway, we have a lot of former students, now in high school, who come to visit us, see the projects, and take part in the CBA night by asking the 8th graders questions and listen to their speeches.

Driskell, one of my students from last year, came to visit and hear about some of the projects. I know he is on the football team, so I mentioned how all of the 8th grade boys are really into the football team. HE said he really enjoyed all the guys and thought they were more dedicated than some of the older members on the team. I was telling him that one kid in particular was having a rough time in another teacher's class and causing some issues, talking back, etc. He immediately said he would take care of it because it is his job to help the incoming freshman start becoming responsible for their actions, especially this particular boy b/c he is trying out for QB next year.

As I was walking by, Driskell pulls Kemani aside and says to him:

Driskell: "Hey, when you see Dale, you better tell him I'm looking for him."

Kemani: "Okay why?"

Driskell: "Because I heard he was being a punk in Ms. Kastien's class and he better knock it off. And if I find out he's messing around in there, he won't be walking for a week after I'm through with him on the field."

:)

Kemani: "Okay, I'll tell him."

Man if only we had that kind of pull with high school kids ALL year long. I have been pushing for high school mentors since I arrived here at CMS 8 years ago. This is the kind of mentoring I think would be SO powerful and meaningful. Not the threats part, which I do think is funny, but just that relationship of respect they have for them. It's so neat to see. I am so proud of how much Driskell has grown up this past year. What a great thing to witness as a teacher of a child last year who was a sweet little guy, but just socialized SO much that he never finished his work in class. And now, here he is trying to get these 8th graders in shape. It's really cool.

No comments: