Thursday, March 24, 2011

Running in circles...or really slowly

I don't mind working out. I like it even better when I see results, which is why I was so stuck on (and still am) my Jilian Michaels video (The Shred). I enjoy being thinner and when I'm working out regularly, I feel so much better and I have more energy. These are all benefits. Sometimes, though, I need to mix it up. So...over the past year, I've picked up running off and on.

Honestly, I hate running. Even worse, I hate running outside. However, I know it's good for me, so I do it anyway. It's actually super hard on my hips, which I blame on my second pregnancy w/ Bay. I never had problems before that. Earlier this year, I had to go to the chrio to get some work done b/c my hip was completely out of place. This happened b/c I was doing a lot of jogging outside. I had to wear an ugly brace, It wasn't cool or fashion forward. My chiro urged me not to run outside but stick to a treadmill until I was able to run w/ longer strides and at a faster pace. I wish I had a treadmill. I would use it.

The weather has been nicer lately, and I have had a few free moments after school, so I took advantage. Dj bought me a couple of new Jillian DVDs, which I'll be trying on rainy days. But I vowed to myself that when it's nice, I will run outside on the track near my school.

I shouldn't say run; what I really mean is jog. Last weekend, I went out and ended up making it for two miles. It wasn't bad. This week, I've been continuing to jog around 2.1 miles according to my pedometer. I still don't love it, but I know it's worth it in the end. I just need to keep thinking: Prom in May....healthy....swimsuit in June and July...yeah. :)

2 comments:

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

Congrats!! I'm impressed

chrissyrudd said...

About your hips:
Consider some physical therapy to strengthen the muscles around your hips. A few of my cross country kids had hip problems, muscles and joints being too loose or too tight because of growing. I learned a lot from what they learned from trainers and therapy!

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/strengthtraining/qt/Side_Plank.htm

or

http://footloose.runnersworld.com/2009/04/to-prevent-leg-injuries-look-to-the-hips-not-the-feet.html

There are some great exercises we do in track also to stretch and strengthen the hips. We use hurdles, but it just involves going over and under bars set at high and low positions (like high hurdles and low hurdles).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGA-myGjMUc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGlwJkdMaME

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiPWC5gc5Io&NR=1