Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sad :(

This is sad news. :( Our cat, Cammy (the fluffy one) was apparently having problems closing her mouth when Dj arrived home this afternoon. He knew something wasn't right so he, with two kids in tow, took her down the street to the vet. Vet looks in C's mouth to discover she has some severe issues with her teeth. One tooth is pulled. Vet says she will probably need all of her teeth pulled b/c she has horrible, diseased teeth. They are running some blood tests on her overnight (they kept her) to see if anything else is going on, but I am just sick about it. Why? She is one of our first pets. She is so sweet and I am worried about her. She is probably freaking out wondering what's going on. She is all alone. I know she is just a pet, but she's been a part of our family for the last six years. The problem with all of this is, it's very expensive to get all of her teeth pulled. Very expensive. Vet says it's normal to have teeth pulled like this and she'll probably be a much happier cat and won't be in pain anymore. She has had such horrible breath since she was born, so she's probably lived with this for years. Poor thing! :( Vet says that the teeth pulling will help her stop sneezing and hacking so much. Vet says she'll be fine and it won't affect her quality of life. Vet says she'll probably have to move to soft food though. We'll know more tomorrow after they get some test results back. But the whole thing just sucks. To those of you who read this blog: would you pay $ to fix your pet? Why or why not?

9 comments:

Briana said...

So sorry to hear about Cammy. Luckily though after her teeth are pulled she should be fine. That's good news at least.

I too would pay for the vet to fix our pet. (We only have one cat, Molly but we have had her since we 1st moved home from college, more than 8 years ago now. She is part of our family.) I'm not sure what my total expense would be, but I guess I would probably weigh the amount against the quality of life it would give our pet. If it would only buy her a small amount of time, that would most likely mean that she would be suffering so I wouldn't do it. If it was a quick fix, although still expense I would do it.

Briana said...

Oh and the "why" I would do it? Because when we adopted her from the Humane Society we were taking responsibility for her.

Tyler's Mommy said...

Oh, this is so sad! I'm so sorry Fitz! I would definitely pay to have it done

Samantha said...

I agree with Briana, I too would pay for my dogs to be fixed if something was wrong. It sounds like she will have a normal, healthly, life full of good, wet food! My dog's LOVE the wet stuff. I am so sorry this is happening to Cammy but maybe you look at her like I look at my dogs, as your child with fur. :)

Unknown said...

I don't know... I guess it would depend on the amount and the procedure/treatment vs the age of the animal and quality of life they do and/or will have after it.

Kris B said...

I think you don't really have a choice. Cammy is part of the family, and you have to take care of her. Poor thing. My sister had to take out a $500 loan on her credit card when her cat was sick last year. She told her cat when she got home that was it- she's used up all her sick time for the rest of her life, so she better stay healthy.
Give Cammy a hug for me when she gets home.

Bekah said...

I don't have any pets and I'd still pay to get this done. As others have said, she's a part of the family. Sorry Fitz! Hope she's on the mend soon.

Abby said...

Oh hell yes! It would take a very high (maybe over $5k or higher depending on the situation) to keep me from doing anything to save my dogs. Seriously, I have a closer bond with them than most family members. However, I understand that not everyone has a similar attachment to their pets.

April said...

Fitzy- I see you've already done the deed, but if it makes you feel better, we dropped $4K on Coop Dogg for his shoulder surgery and rehab. I just heard your jaw drop BTW! Honestly, it was a very easy decision. We love him and he was in pain and we had money saved for "emergencies". He brings that much happiness to our lives it was worth it. He's now turbo-puppy without pain.