Monday, February 23, 2009

Poor Little Man


Well I have some very disappointing and frustrating news: Baylen's ear infection has returned. This makes #6. This little guy has been sick since he's been about 6 months old. Today when Dr. D. looked in his ears, I could see the disappointment in his face. He said, "ohhh his ear is bulging." He explained it was time to bring out the "big guns" and prescribed Baylen with a strong shot of antibiotics called Rocephin that he has to get in his thigh for the next 3 days. So I will be going to pick him up tomorrow and take him in the afternoon and then Dj will take him on Wed. to get his final shot. I am not fond of the side effects of all of these meds he's had in his little system b/c he gets the runny bunnies every time and diaper rash to match. Not cool.

Dr. D. also wrote us a referral to go see an ENT Dr. downtown. He said that he was afraid all these e.i.'s were going to cause Baylen the inability to hear his own voice to formulate sounds and words. Dr. D. explained that since he is at a critical age where it's important that he continue to babble and start forming more words, that it was necessary to get another opinion or take the next step with the ENT. So, Dr. C., I am hoping you'll have an opening for us soon. And honestly, I am hoping you will be able to tell us what is going on and that tubes is the best solution for Mister's ear issues.

I just feel so bad for Baylen and it breaks my heart everytime he becomes miserable or wakes up in the middle of the night inconsolable. Now it makes me wonder how many of those nights he was up so many times if it was really his ears bothering him. And, as a result of him not feeling well or sleeping well, he's been in our bed off and on the past 2-3 weeks for a couple hours or more at a time b/c that's the only way he'll stay asleep some nights. I don't particularly love him in our bed but when he's feeling poorly, I know it makes him feel better to be close to his mom and dad. Plus, I just can't have him crying and waking up all night and waking up Brynn all the time. She needs sleep too...and because they share a room currently, this is how we have to work things out for awhile. I'm hoping this 3-day round of super strong meds does the trick at least to get him through his b-day alright and then long enough until he sees the ENT.

5 comments:

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

Poor you, DJ and Bay! I feel so horrible for all of you! Hopefully the ENT will answer all of your questions so Baylen can be "normal" again.

Briana said...

Poor Baylen! Hopefully this round of meds will do the trick and that tubes take care of the infections for good.

Megan said...

I hope that the super meds work! Poor lil guy that has to get 3 shots!!! I'm glad that you have options now to go to the ENT.

Samantha said...

That is what I was hoping for with Henry. I don't think he has had non-infected ears at all the past 60 days! ugh! It seems like just when he is normal, another ear infection appears. I really hope the rocephin helps. I hear those shots can be very painful. Poor dude! I hope they work, or at least help until he gets to see the ENT!

Anonymous said...

Poor Bay! I hope he gets better soon!