Thursday, December 18, 2008

Say it Ain't Snow?!


Yep that's right, we have ANOTHER snow day today. Well, actually that is NOT entirely correct. We had a 1 hour delay despite the fact that there was snow falling in buckets in the area where our school is and downtown Seattle, among a variety of areas around the Sound. I left w/ the kids about 7:30 this morning. Everything was smooth sailing driving wise until I reached the Burien area and that's when it got BAD. Seattle doesn't get snow around here very often, so when we do and it's falling in mass amounts, the roads get slick QUICK. We STILL had school. I could NOT believe this after yesterday's fiasco where school was 2 hours delayed and then CANCELLED altogether and we didn't have ANY freaking snow. Yesterday, they were anticipating the huge amounts of snow and so they cancelled thinking that we were going to get some and we didn't get any. Then, today, we get a TON of snow and we still had school an hour late. WTF??? Seriously our Superintendant is jacked up. Today, our district was the ONLY one who had school. Seriously--it was true! So, the few of us that DID make it into school were only there for a short while. We only had about 30 students actually show up to school. The kids mostly spent their time in the gym or baking cookies. I spent my time making copies and sub plans for my sub on Monday the 5th of Jan. so I got that done in case we don't have school tomorrow, which is our last day b/f holiday break. While I was busy doing that, news broke that the district was canceling all elementary schools but the middle and high schools had to remain open. Again, WTF? They said b/c they announced it so late, we had to stay open. What in the HELL? And so, as we stayed open with all of 30 freaking students, the weather became worse and worse, and more snow continued to fall. The VP told me to leave around 10:30 since I live further away than most of hte teachers who were still there. It took me about a half hour to get to the kids' daycare, which is normally 7 minutes away from school. After picking them up and gathering all of their Christmas gifts, we made our way out to the car. It was really coming down by then and I was very concerned we were going to be stranded b/c the only way to go home was down 2 big hills. EEK! :0 We did make it home but it took us almost 2 hours from start to finish. But, at least we made it safely.

School ended up being let out at 12:30 so it actually counted as a REAL day so at least we have that going for us and won't have to make it up. I am thinking I will write a letter to the Sup. telling him how difficult it was for me AFTER having to travel through it once, to have to drive back through it AGAIN, this time WORSE with two VERY young children in the car. UGH! I was pissed! Seriously, did he even think about those of us who actually had to drive home in this shit? GRRR very irritating. But, the best part? I get to be home with my babies for the rest of the day and catch up on my blogging! :) (I'll try and get pics of the snow soon!)

So our schedule this week looked like this b/c of our CRazy weather I'm totally blaming on global warming:

Monday: 2 hour delay; icy snow-packed roads esp. on the side streets: only 40% of our students showed this day.
Tuesday: 2 hour delay, again b/c of icy roads; 80-90% of our kids showed today
Wednesday: School cancelled b/c of anticipated snow storm which NEVER happened and we could have totally had school.
Thursday: 1 hour delay even though HUGE snow storm and crazy bad roads.....finally done at 12:30
Friday: who knows? it's up in the air at this point...I supposed it will depend on how much snow we continue to get. It's REALLY falling here in our neck of the woods as I type.

2 comments:

Briana said...

That's nuts!

I'm with you on school craziness though. Friday and Monday were cancelled because of the bad ice storm and so many people were still without power and there was a state of emergency in NH. Then WEdnesday was a snow day (for 4" of snow) and today they cancelled it again because around noon it's supposed to start and be very heavy with 10-14" coming down total. It's supposed to be the same accumulation on Sunday so Monday will probably be cancelled too! It's very hard to work from home with a 6 year old in the house. UGH!

April said...

Make sure to tell him you grew up in IOWA and actually know how to drive in the snow. It isn't like you're a Floridian freaking over flurries!
I can't complain. It was 64 here this week and almost 50 today. We're supposed to get poo-ed on *snow wise* this weekend. We'll see.
I'm glad you made it home OK and can spend some snow day time at home. Stolen time is always fun!