Saturday, December 20, 2008

A trip to the ER

Yesterday we had to take a trip to the Emergency Room. I had been calling Baylen's Ped's office since the minute it opened trying to get a hold of one of the receptionists to see if and when I could get him in to be checked out. No on was answering. I then tried calling the 24-hour nurse's hotline and was on hold for 18 minutes straight. I hung up when my phone said 18:33. I figured if I could get a hold of the nurse, they could page the Dr. on call at his office and we could get in for an appt., but no such luck. Then I tried calling another Family Med. office here in K. But, they do not take walk-ins. So, our only option was the ER.

Baylen had been having a fever off and on for the past 4 days and I knew he had some sort of infection since the fever was not going away. When it peaked at 104 on Thurs. night, I had had enough. With the snowy roads, we continued to alternate between Infant Tylenol and Motrin every three hours to keep the fever regulated/breaking and that did work well. Anyway, when I couldn't get a hold of anyone at the Dr. office, Dj suggested we try and drive over there and see why no one was answering. HE drove us b/c we were afraid the roads were still icy and nasty from the snow the day before. When we arrived at the office, the lights were off and it looked like no one was around. I was pretty bummed but figured it was due to the weather and we were out of luck. So, off to the ER we went. We spent 2 hours in the waiting room before we were called back. By the time we were called back, we had to wait another 2 1/2 hours to be seen by a Dr.! It was ridiculous! I guess the snow injuries and other things going on back there were more important than a baby, who at the time he was checked by the first nurse, wasn't running a temp, but probably had another ear infection was the low man on the totem pole. When the Dr. came in, he literally looked at him for FIVE FREAKING MINUTES, said he had another ear infection and prescribed him with a different antibiotic than what he just finished not even 5 days ago. So, we're hoping these meds take care of business. Poor little mister has been sicky for a month! I am also hoping that being away from daycare for a couple weeks will help him recuperate a bit. he's just a sickly little dude right now. :( I feel sooooooo bad for him and all I want is for him to feel better. Dj and I agree that he wants SO badly to be back to normal so he can move and get into trouble! :) Although, I must say it IS nice to cuddle with my little guy as much as I have b/c he is normally not a cuddler these days. So it makes me happy he's all lovey and wants to be held and loved and just cuddle in and sleep on me all the time. (I get NOTHING done, however!!)

Well, we wasted our entire day in the ER but at least we have meds and I think they are working. You can see how sick he looks in my Say It Ain't Snow blog photo. His nose has been running non-stop and he's got a cough, sneezing, watery eyes, the whole nine yards.

4 comments:

Briana said...

Poor Bay! Hope he's better soon, especially since you guys are flying soon, right?

Megan said...

Gosh, that is so ridic that you had to wait FOREVER! Do you guys have urgent care, like the drs office that's open extended hours? We take Lydia there after doctors office hours and they are pretty good. There is a peds urgent care downtown too...

Unknown said...

That's crazy, sorry you had to wait so long! I thought we were going to have to do that today. Hope you have a safe trip!

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

I feel your pain!! Poor Baylen...and you! I'm hoping he makes and quick mend so he will be better for Christmas.