Sunday, August 2, 2009

Bad Mom of the Week Award



goes to me. Why? Well, it's kind of a long story but the gist of it is this: I have found that I am generally less patient with my children, especially when they are cranky. I just lose it. If it is an isolated incident, then I am fine, but when one of them is cranky for many days in a row, that's when I really lose my patience altogether. For the past two weeks, Baylen has been pretty irritable. HE cries when I tell him no. He bawls and screams when I take something from him he's not supposed to have or it's dangerous. He screams when he doesn't want to be in his high chair or out of the shopping cart, or his carseat. He goes boneless on me when I am trying to hold his hand and get him to walk with me somewhere, or just throws himself on the ground and has a tantrum. It's all just drama to the max, and he's been crying way more than he did 2 weeks prior. I know his teeth *MOLARS* are bothering him. They have been sore for months, really. His top ones broke through over a month ago, but they are still bothering him. He barely eats. He demands his pacifier as often as I'll give it to him. He pulls at his mouth or chews on his fingers constantly. He's been biting things and people. I know his teeth are killing him. Teething has always been HORRIBLE for this child. And yet, I still have no patience when he's cranky.

Tonight, though, the ultimate guilt trip set in and hit me pretty hard upside the head. After the bath, the kids were brushing their teeth and I asked Baylen to let me help him. He gladly handed me the toothbrush and let me brush. I was horrified the minute I took the t.b. out of his mouth after brushing his top molars only to find it all bloody. I stuck my finger in his mouth up on his top left molar and my finger was full of blood. I gave him a cold washcloth to chew on for a few minutes and the gums seemed to calm down enough for me to get a good look inside. Dear Lord. His mouth is so swollen, I don't know how he has been able eat a thing! Guilt consumed my entire body and I once again realized that patience SKILLS need a major facelift. Then Brynn chimes in, trying to make me feel better, as I'm explaining to Dj what happened w/ the gums issue which seemed to solidify my guilt;

ME: DJ! OMG Baylen's gums are totally bleeding! It's horrible!

Dj: Oh No. I don't remember Brynn's doing that. Is it normal?

ME: I think so but it's just aww...I just feel so bad for him! He's in pain!

Dj: Poor kid...that is why he's so cranky.

ME: I know...ugh.

Brynn: Mom, it's okay...sometimes that happens.

3 comments:

Cari said...

Amen sister! Reading this I thought I wrote it, that is exactly what has been happening with me and Ireland lately, and I too think it's her teeth, and she has a bit of a cold and I just cannot take the constant tantrums and whining. Lately everytime I get upset I step away and remind myself to parent out of love and not out of anger. And sometimes this is REALLY hard, but I don't want to be one of those yelling moms. Hang in there, I've heard it gets better. You are a fabulous mommy.

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

Oh Fitz. You're doing a great job! I've been in the same boat lately. Yesterday, I just lost it giving Tyler a bath as he screamed bloody murdered, shaked and moved in every direction and then proceeded to splash me with ALL of the water in the bathtub turning the room into a disaster. I called him a brat and then felt so guilty...I guess it just comes with being a mom. The plus side: they will never remember, right? That's what gets me threw it...after some crying time!

Briana said...

Don't feel badly, it happens to everyone. I so hate teething. It's so hard on both the child and the parent. I think we're in the clear with Olive for another 6 months or so until her 2 year molars come in. All her eye teeth are in now and all 4 molars too. But it's been a long haul of hungry strikes, tantrums and bad diaper rashes.

Hang in there, you're doing a great job!