Monday, August 24, 2009

Daycare

The kids started back to daycare today. Brynn was so excited. She entered her teacher's classroom and asked where all her friends were. They have all moved next door. She misses them. She is moving next door tomorrow. Hopefully she'll be okay with the quick transition. She seems to be transitioning into things easier than when she was younger. We'll start slow and build up, but I'm guessing she'll be just fine. She is looking forward to being with her little friends tomorrow.

Baylen had a rough day today. He was not very excited about coming into b-fast at school today. He didn't want to sit down. He didn't want me to leave. I placed him in the chair next to Brynn and took off before he could see me. I hate leaving that way. I hate it. But it is easier on him if I do that instead of seeing him cry and cry. Then he went into his classroom and it was all downhill from there. He got in trouble for jumping on the little "kiddie" couches in the room. He didn't know he could not do this. His teacher does not know Baylen has become very stubborn. That he can be ornery sometimes. That he has a lot of energy. That he says "NO" like 500 times a day and half of those really mean "YES." So he was put into some time outs. I had a chat with Ms. Teacher to find out her philosophy on dsicipline...not sure I agree. I repeated that this was his first day back and he needs some time to adjust, but Ms. Teacher wants him to turn it around in 2 weeks. I am not so sure that will happen. FOr her sake, I hope it does, otherwise he will give her a run for her money. We'll see what happens tomorrow. If he is in multiple time outs tomorrow, I will be ready to hopefully help her try some new tactics to help ease him into this difficult transition. He is too young for all of those time outs. If overused, it's ineffective according to multiple research resources. And then I am afraid he will never want to go back if all he does is get into trouble. Poor kid! :(

3 comments:

Briana said...

Poor Baylen! I agree, he's a bit young for time outs. I don't think that Olive would really understand what they were if I tried them with her. We just remove her from the situation. It angers her, but she gets the point. Hope the rest of the week goes better for everyone.

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

Baylen is such a boy - and so much like Tyler!! It will work out (so much for me to say with Tyler starting preschool Monday). He'll be back in his routine in not time!

Samantha said...

I agree about the time outs. It does us more good to direct Henry's attention elsewhere than put him in timeout because he doesn't understand yet. good luck!