Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Daycare Part 3

NO timeouts today. Teacher talked to me like an adult today. Teacher treated me like I knew something. Teacher flipped her words and explained her classroom is not a negative place and timeouts are a last resort. Not sure if teacher is telling me what I want to hear or if teacher is trying to work on this in her class. Mom/Director of teacher says that teacher still has a lot to learn and is having a major learning curve. Lots of kids are returning from the summer break back into the class, which is changing the dynamics big time. Apparently, earlier in the day, teacher had a bit of a breakdown b/c some other kids in the class were biting and she didn't know how to stop it--they kept doing it. Director/Mom helped teacher calm down and gave her some tips on how to help those kids get through this stage. Teacher assured me that they use time out as a last resort...that I am not so sure of, but maybe the last couple days of me asking questions and explaining how I don't think that's the right choice made her re-think her strategies...??? I explained to teacher and to director that I don't like dropping Baylen off every morning sick to my stomach wondering how many timeouts he's going to get that day or that he's going to be in trouble half the day. Teacher and Director assured me that would not happen. I felt better today when I picked up. I think I'll feel better tomorrow dropping him off.

In other news, Brynn will be taking Spanish once a week at school. :) How fun is that?!

2 comments:

Briana said...

So glad she finally seems to be getting with the program. Is she young? No kids of her own?

Samantha said...

Sooooo cool about the Spanish! They offer that for the kids 2+ years at Henry's school too! I am glad the teacher was able to have an adult conversation with you vs. repremanding your parenting skills. How frustrating to have to go through this while you are trying to get your school year started at work. I am crossing my fingers that things go well from here on out for you and baylen. :)