Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Things heard amongst students today in class

FIRST DAY BACK AT SCHOOL TODAY!!!

First of all, here are some cool names from some of my students in my classes: Marady (pronounced Marty--a girl), Wyatt (a girl), Maksim (born in the Ukraine), Laina Serenity (pronounced Line-ah, named after her g’ma), DeLaney (a boy), Keylee, Tyree, Griselda, and Tori

It's always a hoot to listen to middle schoolers talk because they are all at different places in their maturity levels and lives. Here are some one liners I heard today from kids whispering to each other or talking to each other while in class today.

"Where did you get those shoes?"

"I want me some purple shoes"

"What? We can’t wear all red or all blue? But I have an all red sweatsuit. Mannn. I’ma talk to Mr. Ellis ‘bout that one. I do not agree."

"White people look so funny all tan."

"I want it to rain so I can wear my killer boots.

"Wow, look at him! You can tell he went through puberty over the summer"


And the kicker...we were playing that game in Honors class this afternoon where you tell kids to take a few M&M's but make sure everyone can have some. Then when everyone grabs some, you tell them they have to say one thing about themselves for every M&M they picked out of the cup. One kid decided to say a couple of "normal" things and then all of a sudden out of left field he says, "Oh and I can tell you that there are three similarities between a good cup of coffee and a good boyfriend: both are dark, rich, and keep you up all night!" The kids just lost it and were laughing so hard. I had to hold it in and calmly said to him, "Hmmm thanks, Jan Patrick, I must say that this is is the only time I have ever heard that when playing the M&M game..." the kids just thought that was hilarious.


I always have a hard time mentally preparing for school to start, but once it does, I remember all over again how much I love my job. Though it is A LOT of work having so many preps, keeping up with grading all of their homework and writing assignments, as well as individualizing instruction and meeting the Special Ed accommodations/needs of certain students, I truly have the best job on the planet. I get to teach kids, work with kids, coach kids, sometimes parent and counsel kids, and get to know them on so many different levels. But the best part is that I get to watch them grow as learners and as people.

I have a hunch this year's group is going to be a great bunch of kids. I am excited for the upcoming year.

2 comments:

Megan said...

That is some funny stuff from your kids! LOL!! Glad that you had a good 1st day of school!

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

OMG! I am laughing out loud. That is great...I bet he'll be a fun student this year :) hehehe