Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Need Your Feedback

I need some feedback from my readers.

First problem: As you know, Baylen is the size of a 2-year old. Therefore, he is outgrowing his carseat AGAIN. Currently, we have two Britax carseats...one is the Marathon and the other is the Roundabout. Baylen is getting TOO tall and is too broad for the Roundabout. Brynn is taller than Baylen, so she is also technically too tall for the R. seat. However, we have had to switch their seating arrangements b/c Brynn is smaller and can fit beter in the Roundabout than Baylen. Anyway, we are trying to decide if we should:

A. Get another Marathon seat so we'll have 2 and each child gets their own.

Or

B. Get the Britax Frontier that is one of the biggest ones with the fold out cup holders and it is good for 9 years, it converts into a booster seat, and can hold up to a 100-lb. child. While 100 pounds seems extreme, I am wondering if the fact that it doesn't expire for 9 years would be a good investment. The Marathon holds up to 60 lbs. The Frontier is good for children 2 years and older, so Brynn would get that seat and Bay would move to the Marathon. Is it smart to get the bigger seat like the Frontier?

Those of you with older children: do you use those boosters? is it worth it?


I know that it really makes the most sense to go with Option B, but I am interested to hear what would be best. I am not a fan of having to buy another expensive car seat, but my monstrous son requires it. :)

Problem #2:

Brynn has a tricycle she loves riding. We have been taking little walks around our place outside so she can ride her bike and Baylen either walks with a monkey backpack attached to him OR rides in the Quinny. The problem is that I know he wants to ride something too...so what do I get for him?

A. A little scooter he can ride and push with his feet?
B. A Little Tikes Coupe car that he can sit in and push with his feet?
C. Keep him in the wagon or stroller?

I just feel so bad that he can't ride something and I know he wants to so bad. Any ideas/suggestions or even toys with wheels he could ride would be most appreciated.
He's too young to pedal yet.

8 comments:

April said...

Baylen needs a Ferrari. That solves BOTH problems!

Briana said...

I'm probably going to be no help at all because I don't even own 1 Britax. We have 2 Evenflo and 2 Graco carseats. The Evenflo we've found to be great when the kids are little, it really holds them snuggly. The Graco seems deeper and taller so the boys used those when they were older. They are now each in Graco booster seats (with backs as I don't think the ones that are only the bottom portion are safe at all!) In total, we have 5 carseats and 2 booster seats. (Yeah, way too many!) But we have a booster and car seat in the car, 2 boosters and a carseat in the van and then my mother has a carseat that we bought her as well. If I were you I'd probably go with your option B.

As for the bike for Baylen. I'd just get him something small that he could push himself around on with his feet. Olive has a few little ride on toys and loves pushing herself around the driveway now while her brothers are riding their bikes. We have a tricycle that we'll start her on probably next spring when she's more able to use the pedals.

Unknown said...

Never been there myself but I would think option B would be most cost effective in the long run.

Bekah said...

I like April's thinking, clearly we don't have kids. :) Seriously though, before my niece, Anna, (who's two) got a super cool pink tricycle for her bday, she spent a lot of time in her two Little Tikes cars. I think she likes the tricycle now because my sister makes her wear an Elmo helmut.

Unknown said...

what about one of those things that looks like a car that you can push? like it has a long handle on the back and you can push and he can ride? just a thought


-Mary

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

I can't believe he is growing out another car seat. Tyler is over 3 feet tall now and weighs probably close to 35 lbs and he's not close to growing out of ours - but it's a Graco. I would go with B.

Problem 2 - We have both A and B. We use A outside and B inside the house. He LOVES them both. I would definitely get him something so he can "feel big" like Brynn is.

abby said...

Someone is going to have to explain to me how a car seat can "expire"?

I LOVED the Little Tikes cars when I was little - my cousin had one and we would ride around together. Is he still too small for a big wheel? Those are the best things ever!

Samantha said...

We have Henry in a Britax Marathon. It sounds like option B would be the way to go since you little man is growing like a weed.

As for toys, Henry has a little car he can push or ride (scoot with his feet) and love it! Definately worth the investment!