Friday, May 1, 2009

Swine Flu craziness

This was the hysteria that was the swine flu last week. It has died down a bit. No pun intended.

There is a panic happening among many of our students at school regarding swine flu. We had several kids gone today because parents wanted to keep them home in hopes that they will not be exposed to the flu virus. They are washing their hands like crazy. I had a couple kids wearing masks today when i walked onto campus this morning. I had some who asked me if they could have some rubber gloves to wear b/c they were so freaked out. The media has really spun this out of control--so out of control that my kids can't even concentrate on learning b/c they are all obsessed with the swine flu. I keep telling them that there was a report that came out this morning indicating that the s.f. was not as bad as they once thought. And it sure makes it difficult to have a due date for a big project when 5-7 kids are gone from the class. Good Grief. I realize many of the kids do not have health insurance, but, it's still frustrating.

One child made a mask for himself out of tissue but then sneezed in it and ruined it. They are starting to get creative.

I will say one good thing that has come out of this is that the kids are SO crazy about washing their hands constantly. Before whenever I asked them to b/f they used a computer, they always asked me why I had them wash their hands. I would tell them b/c I don't want it to be germy in my room. NOW they totally get it and there's no complaining.

Let's just hope this hysteria dies down and we can all move on. Dj saw a family riding in a van yesterday all wearing masks. Some of them in the fan were wearing dust masks. Now that is funny.

No comments: