Monday, August 11, 2008

it's formulaic




I realized after some of you commented about the whole formula worry at daycare, let me explain a little more clearly what I meant by that. At our daycare center, they provide the formula and diapers. We don't have to bring in our own. When Brynna switched over to formula, they gave them the Kirkland brand of formula (can be bought at Costco) which didn't bother me because she did fine with it. Because I didn't have to worry about what brand she was drinking, I don't know what their protocol is for babies who need "Special formula." So, I'll have to ask our daycare director to find out. If I need a note for them to buy a different kind for me, I have no problem getting it from my Pedi. But, if all I have to do is tell them, then I'll do that, too. They are a pretty easy-going bunch when it comes to stuff like that. What I am more worried about is them "forgetting" he needs to have the different formula and they'll give him the regular brand and it will be hard on his system. Sometimes when the teachers leave for the day and the younger gals take over, they don't always pay attention to the details. By having the Dr.'s note, they put them on the front of the refrigerator in the classroom, and it's seen by everyone, which may be the best idea. We'll try the bm first and see how it goes with keeping up with his demand.

On Saturday, we made the decision to move little B into Brynn's room. He is sleeping in the pack-n-play right now, which is okay because it fits nicely in the nursery next to Brynn's crib. Sat. night was AWFUL because when Baylen was having one of his partying moments, it woke up Brynna too. She wanted to come sleep in our room, so we had to tell her she was a big girl and needed to stay in her own bed. An hour and many sobs later, Brynn was rocked back to sleep and back in her own bed. Baylen was still up, so I put him in his carseat and rocked him. He finally tapped out and went to sleep. I must say I did NOT sleep well on Sat. night without him in our room, but it was nice to be able to turn on lights, the TV and just get ready for bed with no children in our room.

Baylen did sleep better last night but hubs and I made the decision together to let him "cry it out." 23 long minutes later, he gave up and went to sleep. I really hated having to do that, but sometimes it has to be done. Mister finally gave up and went to sleep. He did well and woke at about 2ish and then nurse and went right back down until 5. He wanted to party at 5 a..m. so I got up with him, cooed and chatted with him, then let him play for awhile downstairs in his saucer. he was tired by about 6, so I put him in his swing and he fell asleep for another 2.5 hours until Brynn woke him (and me) up. :) I put him on a 4-hour feeding schedule all day yesterday, so don't know if that helped or not. I also took him off of cereal for the next couple of days b/c he was getting constipated again. GRRR. That makes for a very unhappy baby. So, once he gets regular again, we'll re-introduce it once a day slowly again. I also wonder if the cereal does a number on his AR problem....I'll have to monitor that. Also, I THINK Baylen might be getting a tooth on the bottom. I see a white line and feel a bump down there, but I know teeth move up and down, so we'll see. It seems to be pretty sensitive when I touch it, so I've been giving him some Orajel to help with the swelling and pain.

I'm going to the chiro. today. My lower left back or hip is killing me. I can barely move and having a hard time walking, running after kids, or picking them up. So, I'm hoping my Doc can give me some relief and help me feel better. I don't know what caused it...now, back to the Olympics!

2 comments:

Megan said...

Oh gosh, I hope that the chiro was able to help out! Sorry to hear you've been having rough nights!

I'm sure you've heard a zillion ideas about the tummy issues, but a couple of things (sorry if you've heard this a zillion times) - we have a parenting board at work and there was some discussion about this topic... have you tried cutting dairy out of your diet? Just a thought. Maybe try the lactose free/soy formula? The other thing is that when Lydia gets a little constipated, we make her cereal w/ a little organic apple juice, works like a charm in no time. Anyway, I hope he outgrows this SOON!!!

Briana said...

Oh that makes sense about the formula. How great that it's provided at daycare and you don't have to worry about making bottles daily!

I hear ya' on wanting to be able to turn on the lights and TV in your bedroom! Still waiting to be able to do that. But this time it's Kevin telling me to wait to move her. She needs an A/C and we haven't bought one for her yet and he says she's fine in our room. Fine by me! Can you believe that she's still in her bassinet? Kevin and I are not tall people, our poor kids!

Ugh and having one child wake the other up, that's certainly no fun! I hated that when Logan and Quinn were sharing a room (pre-construction) But it was in the morning that Quinn (the early bird) would wake Logan up and he'd be so crabby-he's not a morning person at all! And at night Quinn would talk and talk and talk and keep Logan up for at least an hour.

Hope everything gets sorted out soon and you're all getting some much needed rest!