Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A Breastfeeding MUST-Buy

I decided that maybe once a week, I will discuss the pros or cons of one baby product or mother w/ baby product. I've been thinking about posting this on my blog for awhile now, and especially since I saw this now selling in Babies R Us. The product of the week I am pushing all nursing mothers to buy if they haven't done so already is this very special nursing bra. Now, most of you probably know, when first nursing, (at least what I learned in my nursing class last year) it is better to wear nursing bras without wire in them. Here's where I would like to introduce the Medela Nursing Bra. I spent all of my nursing months with Brynna wearing floppy, flimsy nursing bras from Motherhood Maternity. I thought they were decent and didn't really think I would need anything different. That was until my very dear friend, Megan, told me she tried the Medela bra and LOVED it. So, I hopped online and bought one off of gap.com. If you have a Gap store near you that sells maternity clothes in the store, then they will also sell Medela bras in there as well. But, the only one around here that does that is in downtown Seattle. I was soooo happy to see that Babies R Us in Tukwila is now selling the bras on their shelves! The bras do run about $40 a piece, but I am telling you, it is WELL worth it! It is the best bra hands down. The quality is high, the bra is durable and holds everything in very well. I have this model here and I have two of them currently.

I am thinking of branching out to try the underwire bra, but I am curious: do any of you current bf moms wear underwire bras now? How long have you been wearing them?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I have 1 underwire one and hate it, but that could just be me... I have the same medela as you too and like it but of course I usually wear the nursing tanks cause they are good for layering and then if you nurse in public nobody sees my stretchmarks cause I only have to lift the outter shirt.... oh plus if you have a medela pump you can buy the hands-free set and attach it to your medela bra and actually be productive while pumping instead of holding them there and getting nothing done! Always a plus!!

Anonymous said...

I bought one of the Medela bras at Birth & Beyond to wear while I was in the hospital after giving birth. I think it was like $48 and an underwire bra. It was super comfortable at first, but then the underwire on the right side started poking the crap out of me under my armpit. I think it's because it was a little too big so it kind of stuck out. The lady insisted that I would get a little bigger when my milk came in, buuuuuut.. I didn't.. so I just have this bra that doesn't fit. Other than that, I really liked it. The snaps were super easy to use and the fabric is very high quality. If I didn't have the stupid underwire digging into me, I'd say that it was a really great bra. And now that I'm pumping, I wear bras with underwire too and have never had a clogged milk duct or w/e problem that they said would come from wearing a bra with underwire. Plus, my boobs just don't work well without it lol.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Samantha said...

I wear the same nursing bra you do and I too love it. I have a few of them and have worn them since I was 7 months pregnant because they say an underwire increases your chances of developing mastitis. They are still holding up and I have yet to wear an underwire because the girls in my nursing groups who wear underwire say they are more cumbersome while nursing and who needs added work while nursing? Not I!

Tyler-Ashlee's Mommy said...

I went without wires and wore a nursing bra for months and loved it! Not sure the brand.

Another BM must - a Mom band. It's a band that holds the cups on so you can pump hands-free. I got carpel tunnel for pumping so much the first six weeks before I found my favorite item - on the Internet only.

Briana said...

I have that one as well and love it. But I have others that I like just as much, so not sure if it was really worht all the money or not. I don't have any that have a wire. I've never been a big fan of wire, perhaps I'm not getting the correct size though and that's why I find them irritating.

I pump hands free, no band necessary. Can't really explain how I do it, but I always surf the internet/work while I pump. Never been a problem and I pump three times a day.