Monday, June 2, 2008

first day in new classroom



I dropped Brynna off today thinking she would be spending just a couple of hours in the Camel room, AKA potty training room. I go to pick her up this afternoon and find out she's been in there all day! I have mixed feelings about her going in all day so quickly. Part of this uneasy feeling is MY adjustment period, that is most necessary as a newer mom. First of all, I want her to be able to move over to the next classroom b/c I think socially, she is more than ready. More and more younger babies are starting to move over to the Waddler/Monkey room and she needs to be around some of those 2 year olds to help continue building her vocabulary and learn new things/skills. We have been practicing going to the potty, but by no means, it doesn't necessarily mean she is (or are we yet) totally ready to potty train. After all, she is only 20 months old. It is pretty early to start (in my opinion anyway). Right now, we are merely introducing it to her to it and so far, she has seemed to embrace it with open arms. So, I know it was quite a shock to her to move over to a new teacher, Kathy (who is really also very nice) and be with her ALL day away from Maria and Sandy, her teachers she's had since August. I needed that transition too, b/c I love Maria and Sandy. I wasn't ready for this all-day in the Camel Room yet. I feel bad about not preparing her teachers for it either b/c I feel like I never got to really say good-bye (not that I couldn't go into their classroom and say it....but still) I don't know..maybe I should have just kept her in with the Monkeys for 2 1/2 more weeks..that's all I have left of school anyway. But, maybe it's a good idea to introduce her to Kathy and potty training so when she returns in August, it won't be a huge shock to her system. I'm torn. :(

When I picked her up next door today, Kathy told me she sat her on the potty and she just bawled and bawled and didn't want anything to do with it. Poor girl! The guilty mom in me felt like maybe I was trying to push her over there too soon. Aside from the breakdown over going potty, Kathy said she did fine otherwise and took a nice nap, etc. I just feel bad about the whole situation. I miss her old teachers too.

Brynn is not one to transition easily--it takes her some time to get used to everything/everyone and new surroundings. She has to "feel it out" if you know what I mean. I guess another sign that she was still clinging onto Monkey Room/teachers was when I arrived to get her, she was hanging out with Debi, her other Monkey Room/Baby Room teacher instead of playing with the rest of the kids. Transition is hard! Heck, maybe I'll just ask Susan to just keep her in Monkey room until June 18. What was I thinking having her go over in the first place? I was in a hurry to move her and she isn't ready. Tonight when we got home, she would barely even sit on the potty chair...

All I keep thinking is: It's not worth all the pain and agony, (or this reoccurring guilty feeling I keep having) truly it's not.

2 comments:

Briana said...

I think beucase she takes a while to get used to transition, it might be best to keep her in the Monkey room until you are out of school. Then I bet you'll be able to potty train her over the summer and when she returns in the Fall, she'll go right into the new room-since transitioning back to daycare after being home with you will take an adjustment period anyway, you might as well have her change rooms then too. Just my opinion though.

Unknown said...

Is that princess chair made of foam or wood? I just read an article, I think on MSN, but I can't remember where that the foam in those types of chairs breaks down and emmits chemicals in to the air which are known carcinogens. May be something you want to look in to just to be on the safe side... like I said, can't remember where I read it but if I find it again I'll let you know.